Facts and Stats About Drug Addiction in Massachusetts
The entire northeastern United States is caught in the grip of America’s opioid epidemic. In many ways, the impact of heroin addiction in Massachusetts is more severe than in many other parts of the country.
Here are 5 sobering statistics about drug addiction and overdose in Massachusetts:
- In 2017, there were over 2,000 fatal opioid overdoses in Massachusetts
- An estimated 1.3% of the adult population in MA is addicted to opioids
- Emergency room visits related to heroin or fentanyl increased by 73% from 2014-2017
- The rate of overdose death for 18 to 25 year old’s tripled between 2011 and 2016
- Opioid addiction cost the state economy $4.8 billion in 2018